To excel at something, you must be passionate about it. If you do not wake up every day with a great passion for your work, you will be miserable.
Though this words may be strong, permit me to use them for the purpose of influencing you into something greater. Besides, if we do not share the truth to ourselves, we will only be at disadvantage.
Today, many of us will do anything just for the sake of money only to find out that money is not everything. How many people really wake up to fulfil their passion? Why not do something that you naturally love doing and earn the money anyway. This is my candid advice to you.
David Filo, co-Founder of Yahoo Inc., said this, “We started Yahoo in about April 1994. It started out as a way for us to keep track of the things that we were interested in.”
“The world will belong to passionate, driven leaders, people who do not only have enormous amounts of energy but who can energise those whom they lead.” Jack Welch
Permit me to use this medium to define to you what passion is. If passion is vital to your success and yet many people do not know it, then I believe, you will agree with me for us to delve into its meaning and significance.
- It is what makes things happen in life. A commitment to passion guarantees success in everything you do in life. Even the impossible things suddenly or over time become possible when you passionately commit to something that you love to do and do because you love.
2. It is what sustains your gifts and talent and your dreams: Gifts and talents are mostly not enough without passion. Always remember that a passionate person with little talent will succeed beyond a very talented person with no or little passion. It is not the gift that sustains you rather your passion.
3. It is what makes the difference among many people. This is very true. What usually differentiate people whether in the workplace or life, in general, is the passion that drives them. This is why employers today seek candidates with skills beyond certificates. If you are to land that dream job, check your passion level. Do not do something just because of the financial reward you may get. Rather, be involved in something you are passionate about and be a difference maker.
- It is the fuel that fires and energises you to have the will to win against all odds. It keeps you going while others quit. It pushes you through tough seasons. This is why it is fondly said when the going gets tough, and the tough gets going. You are tough because of the level of passion you carry. The passionate man does not stop until he has succeeded. Passion is like fire in the bones of its carrier and it is what drives you on until you win.
- It is what makes you love what you do and do what you love. I love what John Maxwell says,
“Find something you like to do so much that you would gladly do it for nothing and if you learn to do it well, someday people will be happy to pay you for it.”
This is one of the powerful quotes that has changed my life and continue to shape me for greater things. If you are doing something you are not passionate about, I can only encourage you to stop before it stops you. When you are doing something that you love and are passionate about, it is not work. It is fun and pleasure.
- It is what drives you to achieve excellence. Only passion drives excellence. Why? Because it brings out the very best in you. I promise you, you will stop at nothing until you strike excellence.
Jon Krakauer, mountaineer and writer said something you should not forget from today. He said, “Hours slide by like minutes. The accumulated clutter of day to day existence, the lapses of conscience, the unpaid bills, the bungled opportunities, the dust under the couch, the inescapable prison of your genes all of it is temporarily forgotten, crowded from your thoughts by an overpowering clarity of purpose by the seriousness of the task at hand.”
Passion, therefore, is the key to excellence.
True passion is almost like a spiritual experience.
Finally, as I end, remember that money is not everything. Do not let it be your primary pursuit. Be passionate about something worthwhile and pursue it with all your might and the results of success shall be yours.